Friday, November 14, 2014

Answer key



Writing Novena 2/9    11/14/14




"Do you have the answer key?" my student asked.

"My dear, If I had the answer key
I would wear it around my neck
on a fine silver chain
and when a question would trouble me
I would go to the answer box
and insert the key in the answer lock
and open it to find a slip of parchment
quivering in the updraft of the opened lid
with the answer written in fine gold script."

Life is a terrible test.
The proctors won't tell you how much
time you have,
the multiple choices shift under your pencil
and as soon as you darken an oval
another choice appears.

Maybe it's best to just
doodle in the margins
answer the essay question
with a poem
or just stare out the window.

You see there is no permanent record
no honors program in life.
We are just here together.
So rather than look at your neighbor's
paper for the answers.
Just look at his face.
The answer you are looking for
may be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home