Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Origin of Dust

The origin of dust is a mystery.
No motes float in the sunbeams
spearing through my windows,
no sandstorms rage outside my door,
yet the grey film builds silently
on my books, my shelves, my hats.
Dust is a silent vandal, covering furniture,
then houses, then entire cities.  Dust is
time made visible, permeating everything,
swallowing everything, yet as gradual
as raindrops carrying a mountain
to the sea.  We flail at it with
lemon-scented rags, but still it
comes, falling, slowly, as inevitable
as our own deaths. Even then, we don’t escape
the dust. We become one with it, and in turn,
land on some future window or door,
shouting a mute warning,
dismissed with the flick of a feather,
yet always, oh always, returning.
Heed the dust, my friends, and remember,
what we wipe away today,

is what we become tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home