Wednesday, January 07, 2009

My Good Deed

Today, after I attended Bible study, I stopped at a gas station to buy some cigarettes. Inside the station was an elderly woman wielding a business card in her hand. She insisted she needed to get to the insurance agency, but she didn't seem to realize it was unlikely that the office was open at 8:38 PM. The clerk was trying to give her directions, and I began helping also. After awhile, it was clear the lady was confused, probably suffering from some bit of dementia or Alzheimers. I asked her what her name was and she tried to tell me by pulling a bunch of cards out of her wallet. Eventually, I discovered her name and realized the insurance agent whose card she was holding was her son. I called the cell number on the card, and he sounded relieved to know where she was. I chatted with her for awhile until he showed up with his teenage son to take her home. Although she was confused, her manners were never less than gracious, and it was clear to me that she was a lovely lady.

My point in telling this story is not to glorify my good deed, but to comment on the cruelty of slowly losing one's mind. She was retired military, as was her husband, who may or may not have been alive, and she was driving a big, white Lincoln Continental. Clearly, she had led a rich and varied life, and now she was lost in a town she had probably lived in for 60 years.

I hope her family is able to keep her safe and close to home from now on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home