Sunday, October 01, 2006


Nino Fidencio
I noticed this sign on 17th street in McAllen near a yerberia. Nino Fidencio was a famous Mexican faith healer in the 1920s. Nino means child (and I don't know how to add the tilde over the N!) He was born in Guanajuato and lived in Espinazo, Mexico, in the state of Nuevo Leon. He was said to have cured the president of Mexico when the president was ill, and people flocked to him by the thousands. He died in 1938.

Today, many curanderos(as) believe that they are channeling his spirit when they cure people. They consider themselves "cajitas" or "little boxes" for Nino's spirit. People who believe in Nino are called "fidencistos." There is a well-known curandero named Alberto Salinas who lives in Edinburg who believes he has been channeling Nino's spirit since 1978. I became aware of Nino Fidencio nearly twelve years ago when I attended an exhibit at a local museum called "Nino Fidencio: A Heart Laid Open." I frequently see candles with his image for sale, even in mainstream places like the grocery store chain H-E-B. I am including a link to Albert Salinas's website:http://elninofidencio.com/index.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home