Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cursed by Buddha

Today I had lunch with a friend at a restaurant named Dai Tung. Even though they weren't especially busy, our waitress appeared to be in a frantic rush. Often, she would not even allow us to finish our sentences before rushing off to place our order. In the right circumstances it could have been cute, even endearing, but I was very tired and found her to be very annoying. I had been seized by one of my compulsions the night before. I decided that I had to do all of my laundry and wash all of my clothes that night! I didn't get started until about 10:30 P.M. I was up until 4:00 A.M. finishing everything. I went to church this morning, and headed to McAllen to eat Chinese with my friend. To make the visit to Dai Tung even worse, as we paid our check, I noticed a plate of very white muffins next to the register in shrink-wrapped plastic. I held one up and asked the cashier what it was. She became very offended, and told me that it was an "offering to the Buddha" and that I shouldn't touch it. It was then that I noticed the little plastic fountain next to the plate, complete with water spurting from the Buddha's navel. Obviously, some venerable ancestor had purchased it at Big Lots. I was very sorry, and said that I thought it was for sale. She replied, "If it were for sale, it would a sign saying the price." I guess I was wrong to assume a plate of shrink-wrapped muffins in a restuarant was for sale. And why were they shrink-wrapped? I guess the Buddha likes his muffins moist.
The day perked up though when we went to JJ's party house, and I was able to purchase a pair of white angel wings for Halloween.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home