Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Prada and Lawrence

I saw "The Devil Wears Prada" tonight. It was pretty good, and I really enjoyed Meryl Streep. It was just a nice, fluffy, cotton candy comedy with a message that applies to....anyone serving as an assistant to Anna Wintour at Vogue.
Here's a poem by D.H. Lawrence, "The Last Lesson", that pretty much sums up my attitude about school right now. Not exactly "Stand and Deliver" material I'm afraid...but very real and a feeling every teacher can recognize.
When will the bell ring and end this weariness?
How long have they tugged the leash and strained apart
My pack of unruly hounds: I cannot start
Them again on a quarry of knowledge they hate to hunt,
I can haul them and urge them no more.
No more can I endure to bear the brunt
Of the books that lie out on the desks: a full three score
Of several insults of blotted pages and scrawl
Of slovenly work that they have offered me.
I am sick, and tired more than any thrall
Upon the woodstacks working weariedly.
And shall I take
The last dear fuel and heap it on my soul
Till I rouse my will like a fire to consume
Their dross of indifference, and burn the scroll
Of their insults in punishment? - I will not!
I will not waste myself to embers for them,
Not all for them shall the fires of my life be hot,
For myself a heap of ashes of weariness, till sleep
Shall have raked the embers clear: I will keep
Some of my strength for myself, for if I should sell
It all for them, I should hate them-
-I will sit and wait for the bell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home